I’m not sure when it happened but somehow Brussels sprouts have gone from those stinky little lettuce heads that everyone loves to hate to delicious little morsels of heaven that nearly every hip restaurant offers. I never even knew people really ate them until they started showing up on about every restaurant menu I saw. Of course I had to try them and ultimately fell in love! The best part of the whole thing was that Chappy also fell in love! So if you’re keeping track we now have three green things that he’ll eat, broccoli, green beans, and Brussels. (He’s growing up so fast.) Ha
Just recently I decided to try my hand at making them at home for the first time. I wasn’t sure how hard it would be so I thought adding bacon and maple syrup wouldn’t hurt! I mean, you can never go wrong with bacon. Here is what I did:
- 1 pound Brussels
- 3 1/2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 4 slices of bacon
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit
- Rinse the Brussels in cold water, cut the ends off, half, and place in a large bowl
- Slice bacon into 1/2 inch pieces and part cook in frying pan
- Mix the part cooked bacon, bacon grease, olive oil, syrup, salt and pepper in with the Brussels
- Spread on a lined baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes
- Season with salt and serve!
Now I’d like to emphasize the LINED baking sheet. Remember you are baking something covered in ooey gooey, sticky, maple syrup so clean up will be a serious bitch if don’t line the sheet. So I’m begging you, line it!! Ha. Anyways back to the Brussels. They were SO good, especially for how easy they were to make. Chappy and I quickly scarfed down the entire pound and will definitely be adding this to our weekly menu.
Hope you enjoy! 🙂