Well either the g-parents royally messed with Waylen’s sleep patterns or the 4 month regression is no joke! Exactly one day after Waylen turned 4 months he went from sleeping 7+ hours to waking EVERY HOUR. He didn’t even do that as a newborn so it was a realllll change for us. Luckily he still wasn’t really fussy when he’d wake up, just needy. He’d basically wake up and whine, we’d pick him up, and he’d be back to sleep in less than 5. So, easy but still annoying to deal with every hour. Now that we’ve made it to 5 months the sleep situation has improved but it still isn’t back to what it once was and we still have some really off nights. Womp womp. He’s started having more night feeds again which I believe is because he is such a distracted eater during the day! He’s sooo interested in every thing these days it’s hard to get him to focus on food for long but hopefully we can get that back to normal too.
Some of Waylen’s favorite things these days are his bouncer, sitting in his high chair, inch worming across the couch, the Alphabet song, watching the puppies play, and an ugly little elephant car seat toy. He loves to chew everything, especially burp clothes, and is still sliming up the world with his spit. Ha He’s ticklish, laughs like Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory, and smiles 90% of the day. He is still my happy, easy baby!
We’ve brought him to breweries, the beach, restaurants, baseball games, bottle shops, and even a house party and he’s been great pretty much every time! I am definitely one of those parents who just brings their baby everywhere and I don’t care what you think about it! Ha. So far we’ve only left Waylen with the g-parents when we had to attend a wedding and to be honest I doubt we’ll be doing it again any time soon.
This next month we have SO many exciting things happening; family trips, beach vacations, my last day of work and I just can’t wait to see what new things Waylen will learn.
I still can’t believe I have a 5 month old!! Where did the time go?!?
Waylen is growing up faster than ever! He is now 15lbs. 15 oz. and 24 1/4 in. long and is giving me some serious arm muscle.
He has started to actually enjoy tummy time more and is basically a pro at rolling over from tummy to back. He will go through phases of either constantly rolling over on tummy time or constantly trying to crawl. He has the leg motion down pat but still is working out the arms which essentially leads him to either inch worming along or doing somewhat of an army crawl. He babbles, smiles, laughs, grabs at everything, and unfortunately is also losing his hair! Ha my baby is balding so clearly he doesn’t take after me.
Drooling may also be his new favorite pastime. I’m pretty convinced he is starting to teeth because he also loves to chew on anything he manages to get in his mouth (typically his left fist ha.)
He had been sleeping longer, even going 7+ hours between feedings, but now the lovely 4 month regression has got us back to only 3-5 hrs. Of course those long hours were usually 7pm- 2am anyways so if I wanted a good chunk of sleep I also had to have a bedtime of a baby. But hey, I’d take any sleep I can get! At about 14 weeks Waylen started to have an extra watery and goopy eye. Yum. He would blink out tears and would wake up with mega sleepers crusted into this perfect little lashes. (Yuck) Turns out it was just a clogged tear duct and nothing to worry about! All we had to do was wipe his eye with warm water and the tear duct eventually open on its own. Besides that little hiccup everything else this month has gone great!
We took Waylen to his first sporting event and he slept through the entire night ha. We also went to the beach for the first time and he loved it plus what is cuter than a beach baby?!? He pretty much just slept the entire time we were on the beach. He’d wake up to nurse and then go right back to bed. We even sat him in the water and he stayed asleep ha. I guess the wind, waves, and heat were just the perfect combo for sleep.
We are all still in baby heaven over here and loving every minute of parenthood! I can’t wait to see what new milestones we reach next month!
Whether it’s permanent or just for Maternity Leave, being able to stay at home with your baby is seriously the best gift a mother can ask for but let’s be real, it is not a walk in the park. Did you know that stay at home moms have higher incidences of depression? It’s true! And after weeks staying at home on maternity leave I can see why. Being home with a child is hard work. It’s hard to be solely responsible for a tiny human. You spend the majority of your day trying to mold their little brains while also being devoid of any real adult interaction. It is imperative to make sure you make time to take care of yourself both physically and mentally. Here are a few tips I have for any Stay at Home Momma
- Get Dressed. I cannot emphasize this one enough! You need to get up and get ready for the day even if you have zero plans, actually, especially if you have zero plans! When your babes are little you can easily get away with that sweat pant life but it will take a tole on you mentally. Even if it’s just some cute athletic wear, I’m telling you, take the extra time to get ready for the day!
- Exercise. Whether it’s a hard core fitness routine or simply a stroll in the park. Get up and get active! Getting those endorphins flowing will really make a difference!
- Take time for yourself. Get your hair done, get a manicure, take a bubble bath while you guzzle down a large glass of wine. Just make sure you take time out for yourself. If you want a happy baby you need to make sure you’re keeping yourself happy and healthy as well!
- Get out with your friends. Whether you bring the baby or not, make sure you get some quality adult interaction. I am still not ready to leave Waylen for longer than a quick trip to Target but I still make sure to get out with my friends, just with baby in tow. Go to a brewery, dinner, walk in the park, or simply just hangout at someones house; do anything that keeps you from only baby talking for the rest of your life ha.
- Embrace nap time. Everyone always says to nap when the baby naps. If that helps you, great! For me that doesn’t actually help me. (If needed, I like to nap after Chappy gets home from work.) I used nap time to get my chores done and it literally makes me feel so much more accomplished. Even if I don’t have any plans, have been in the same sweats for days, and haven’t showered in who knows how long, getting my chores list done makes me feel like a rock star ha.
Of course every momma is different so find what works for you! These are just a few of the things I found that have really helped me keep it together, especially since Chappy has been working every day. It is SO important to take time for yourself but even more important not to feel guilty about it, so don’t! Just always remember that a happier momma leads to a happier baby in the end!
Now here’s a cute picture of my “boss” just because
And yes that is a roll in the middle of his forearm ha. He is clearly well fed!